Sunday 27 July 2008

WINE IN YOUR CHOCOLATE

Alerted by an email from Austrade, following my blog on Australian chocolate, I learned that the Australians have done it again. If I am not wrong fusion cusine really reached its heights in Brisbane combining Thai with influences from Europe. Well now the inventive Australians have combined wine with chocolate.

Actually, I am bit late in reporting this. Much of the introduction happenned at ISM in last year. But this year the plant in Scoresby is really going to get serious about chocolate and wine, organic chocolate and chocolate with great healthly flavours like youghart.

Using a techinique developed by Horizon Science, and licensed to Farm by Nature,under brand name Cocoa Farm the wine range was launched.

Fortunately and wisely the Aussies choose Shiraz as one of the wines(Merlot and Pinot Nior, the others in the range). Shirz with its spicy, rich berry and cherry flavours, licorice and pepper was a natural choice to compliment the basic flavours of chocolate. Shiraz even had a inviting hint of chocolate.

I wasnt particularly excited. The Shiraz didnt really impact itself on the palate.
I have tasted better gourmet chocolates.I have no doubts, knowing the culinary experts and food technologists of Australia rather well, it will get better, pretty soon.

The chocolate is not Australian. To me it seemed had some hints of Valrhona. At least the bar I tasted. I hope I am not upsetting anyone with this. However I believe that the cocoa estate at Mossman have harvested their first crops. The Aussies have to still learn how to process the beans. No doubt it will not take too long before their innovative skills come out on top again.

In Indonesia a limited suppy of these bars are available sometimes at Sogo Food Hall.

No comments: