Monday 1 September 2008

BELGIAN CHOCOLATE.

Isn't it quite amazing that we chocoholics here in Indonesian actually know very little about Belgium and Belgian Chocolate. Particularly since we have been told by people whose opinions we respect and by chocolatiers who have come this way that Belgian chocolates are the best in the world.

I have actually never disputed it being a person who likes to give the benefit of the doubt to authoritative people.My curiosity was tickled when I heard of Bernard van der Haegen. This gentlemen, a Belgian, actually has brought Belgian Chocolates to Mongolia! He has brought the art of making Belgian style chocolate, truffles, pralines and tablets to Ulan Bator.What missionary zeal!

Then I when I was browsing through Patricia Schultz's "1000 places you should visit before you die" I discovered that the lady recommends that I visit Mary's. Mary's is of course a chocolatier in Belgium. "It looks like a refined jeweller"' says Schultz.
Mary"s supplies the royal court of Belgium with their chocolates. The chocolates which begins from $35 a kilogram are probably what Frederick Shilling was referring to;" You can deprive the body but the soul needs chocolate."

Belgium to me was till recently a place where Europeans, historically, have used as a battleground. I suspect it still is, for it houses the European Parliament and NATO.I am gratified to learn that it produces over 170,000 tons of handmade chocolate a year from some 2000 establishments. WOW! What a paradise!

I am told that Belgian fritters are also famous.

No comments: