Wednesday 13 August 2008

WHAT'S WRONG WITH CHOCOLATE CAFES AND SHOPS?

Chocolate cafes and shops, it would seem, out here anyway, have a high mortality rate.I have noticed this in Sydney(Australia), Singapore and also here in Jakarta. They come and go. At the best they linger on painfully or worse boringly.

Just the other I took a quick look at some outlets in Singapore. An extreme chocoholic I usually am enticed by chocolate cafes. But rarely go in preferring to watch surreptitiously. Perhaps it is because i preferred to keep this wonderful passion private. So as it often happens, late in life rather than sooner, I wandered into several. These are my conclusions:

1)I was overwhelmed with chocolate and thoroughly confused. At one place I was proudly told that there were more than 60 varieties. Another boasted of over 50. There were chocolates from almost everywhere. Green tea figured prominently.

2)The ambiance was exactly, I am afraid,what you would expect of a gourmet chocolate shop. Not quite comfortable and a trifle uneasy to be in.The service to a introvert like me was intimidating. It was, it seems, assumed that I was a chocolate moron. Which I rather resented because I was a chocolate expert having eaten chocolate daily for sheer pleasure for at least 40 years.I should know more about chocolate than people who simply make it.

3)I kept wondering if I should eat more than two and run the risk of ruining my appetite for a extremely promising Singapore lunch. The two I tasted where probably not top of the range of 60 or 50. In the late afternoon I wondered whether I should try one more and ruin a very promising Singapore dinner.

4)Somehow it didn't seem to be the right places to be in at the time. It kept on bring out a sense of launching into over indulgence.


One of my stops was at Max Brenner. It was like the other cafes, sparsely populated by customers. A powerful sense of chocolate and many choices. I felt, too much. With a lean Jakarta wallet, I also found it rather pricey. The first thing you notice here, is the lack of a friendly, chocolaty service.

Max and Brenner(two guys actually) didn't rate very high with customers. As many said they would definitely not come back as those who said they would. Both numbers were less that 20%. The others I visit did rate too well either. Out of 10, they like Max Brenner averaged at a polite 6.

If I were to start a Chocolate Cafe/Shop this is what I would do:

1) I would focus on a few specialities. Cakes, pastries and pralines These would be simply devastatingly superb. The menu would require no more space than a playing card.They would stay on the menu for as long as.....I will keep that a secret.

2)The shop will display no chocolate in glasses cases. I think to display wonderful
dignified chocolate behind glass is being rude to chocolate.

3) Instead I would have a superb minimalistic modern kitchen/factory open behind
floor to ceiling glass where customers may watch the real mystical excitement of chocolate being carefully crafted in splendid special masterpieces.

4)The place will be comfortable. Practical with white table linen and sparkling tableware.Providing a dignified setting to chocolate.
5)Beverages will be offered. A few. Specials of course. Not just chocolate but also tea, coffee and wine. I may experiment with one or two juice cocktails.

6)Service would be limited because the range offered is limited. But expert, brisk and friendly.

7) There will be a small in number and small in portion food menu, of other than chocolate. Emphasis o fish. So that customers can enjoy their chocolate as dessert if that is what they prefer. Of course if they simply have chocolate and well chosen wine. With cheese.

8) There will be no distractions. Customers will be encouraged to discover the art of interesting conversation with each other.

Do I have a model? Yeas I was impressed by one place I visited. They had only three types of cake. All Chocolate, Chocolate Banana Cake and Rum, Cherry and Chocolate. There were also three ice creams. All were superb. Yes I bought all three cakes(to take away).Rating of this place was high. They got an overall 8. Actually 10 for ambiance and 8.8 for service. It was called Awfully Chocolate and was at Vivocity, Singapore. I was told they have two outlets in Jakarta. I have yet to visit.

No comments: